Friday 13 August 2010

In February



'The Shirley Society' released its very own creative writing magazine 'volta'. The first issue included poetry, prose, photographs and soundtracks inspired by the city. Each issue was compiled by hand and came in its own cloth bag. To celebrate, we held a launch party, ate grapes, drank wine, and listened to the contributors reading their work. 'Varsity' liked 'volta' so much it included us in a feature (http://archive.varsity.co.uk/710.pdf), and Zygmunt Day ('House Fire'), even wrote a poem for the occasion:

'volta'- A Poem in One Canto

'April is the cruellest month' T.S. Eliot

Book I
Argument

I've penned a poem, for the eve
That 'volta' will be presented.
An eager debutante seems she,
Like in that episode of the O.C.

Canto I

Though Muses deign to ply me oft
Tempestuous winds do skew my path-
I'm tossed to, fro, and I'm tossed off
The great cliff of despair and loss.

Whilst wandering thus, melancholy,
I chanced upon some Poesy
In this great volume, vers libre,
(whose style Modernity)

Was applied with ample wit
That is to say, it was not shit
And so to me it seemed right fit
That I should extol its merit:

So let us worship at the altar
Of this great and worthy 'volta'.
Lifted thus from being a sulker,
I wrote this ode on Sainsbury's paper.

The next issue of 'volta' will be available in October.


No comments:

Post a Comment